Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Year's Resolutions and Goals

Happy New Year! I hope that you started 2014 well. If you're like most people you have set yourself some resolutions or goals to achieve this year. Whether consciously or not, many of us see a new year as a new beginning and a new opportunity for a fresh start. So why not give yourself the opportunity to start a new project or set some great goals to achieve?

Even if you think that resolutions or affirmations are for chumps, I say why not?!
If you don't try, you don't succeed!

I'm one of those people who like resolutions, goals, affirmations, etc. I go for the whole kit and caboodle. I do it because I like to achieve. I also like having my sight set on something to work towards. I think that it keeps me focused and growing.

I however, do believe in being realistic. I'm ambitious, but I don't set myself up for failure. I set goals that are achievable and I give myself wiggle room.

If I don't get there, I don't beat myself up. Instead, I recognize that I'm a few steps closer to where I want to be, and I keep working at it. Sometimes I need to adjust my process or the goal, but I never give up.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I would love to see more people set realistic, attainable goals for themselves, no matter how small, or how long it takes them, as long as they get to feel that sense of accomplishment, pride and satisfaction when they get there.


If you're a writer, your goals may be to write something new, something in a new genre, a certain number of words per day, to finish your novel, to get an agent, to get your work published, to hit the bestseller's list, or even to get your growing behind off your favorite writing chair and get some exercise. I think that these are all legitimate and attainable goals. So set your sites on something you want and get started!

Be realistic, be kind to yourself, and never ever give up! I promise you will get there.

Happy achieving!
~Marisa